In the world of health, an epidemiological diagnostic tool is used to classify various medical conditions or disorders. It is known as the ‘International Classification of Diseases or ICD‘, whose maintenance is taken care of by the World Health Organisation or WHO. Furthermore, it is updated regularly and is currently in its 11th revision, i.e. ICD-11. Now, this classification system helps organise and categorise various conditions/disorders and their signs and symptoms. They include sleeping disorders using what is called ‘Diagnosis Codes’. However, when it comes to excessive daytime sleepiness, there are many facts about it given in the ICD-10.
Help you know more about excessive daytime somnolence ICD 10 and excessive daytime drowsiness, ICD-10 is presented here in this article.
What are the Symptoms of Excessive Daytime Sleepiness as Per ICD-10?
Excessive daytime sleepiness is a medical condition that includes disorders such as narcolepsy and hypersomnia. Besides, one common symptom of such a disease is lacking sleep at night.
Due to sleepiness arriving in the day, an individual may fall asleep during an unexpected time. There are also a few other symptoms arising from excessive daytime sleepiness according to ICD-10 standards. They are irregular breathing patterns and problematic movements while sleeping.
How to Control Excessive Daytime Sleepiness as Shown in ICD-10?
According to the ICD-10, you can easily try and learn how to control your excessive daytime sleepiness problem by changing your sleeping habits. These are:
- Stop drinking alcohol and consuming coffee regularly
- At home, try and create a peaceful sleeping environment
- Try not to work late at night and do the graveyard shift
- Do not consume medications that trigger drowsiness
- Finally, go to sleep each day at the same time.
In What Manner are the Types of Excessive Daytime Sleepiness in ICD-10 Further Classified?
Firstly, you need to understand that about six sleep disorders are in total. They include Hypersomnia, Insomnia, Sleep Apnea, Circadian Rhythm Disorders, Narcolepsy, and Restless Leg Syndrome. Finally, according toICD-10, these excessive daytime sleepiness conditions are further categorized or ‘Codified in the following manner.
- G47.00- Insomnia unspecific
- G47.01- Insomnia medical condition
- G47.09- Other insomnia
- G47.10- Hypersomnia, unspecific
- G47.11- Idiopathic Hypersomnia along with long sleep time
- G47.12- Idiopathic Hypersomnia without long sleep time
- G47.13- Recurrent Hypersomnia
- G47.14- Recurrent Hypersomnia due to a medical disorder
- G47.15- Other Hypersomnia
G47.2- Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorder:
- G47.20- Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorder, unspecific
- G47.21- Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorder, delayed sleep phase
- G47.22- Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorder, advanced sleep phase
- G47.23- Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorder, irregular sleep awake type
- G47.24- Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorder, free running type
- G47.25- Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorder, jet lag type
- G47.26- Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorder, shift work type
- G47.27- Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorder
- G47.29- Other Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorder
G47.3- Sleep Apnea:
- G47.30- Sleep Apnea, unspecific
- G47.31- Primary Central Sleep Apnea
- G47.32- High altitude periodic breathing
- G47.33- Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- G47.34- Non-Obstructive Alveolar Hypoventilation
- G47.35- Congenital Central Alveolar Hypoventilation
- G47.36- Sleep-Associated Hypoventilation
- G47.37- Central Sleep Apnea
- G47.39- Other Sleep Apnea
- G47. 411- Narcolepsy with cataplexy
- G47. 419- Narcolepsy without cataplexy
G47.42- Narcolepsy in elsewhere conditions:
- G47. 421- Narcolepsy with cataplexy
- G47. 421- Narcolepsy without cataplexy
G25.81- Restless Leg Syndrome:
Also, a few symptoms of sleeping disorders, such as tiredness and drowsiness, are also codified. Therefore, you need to know that the excessive daytime somnolence ICD 10 code is R40.0. In the case of excessive daytime drowsiness and 10, the code is also R40.0 since both the symptoms of sleepiness and drowsiness are the same.
How to Diagnose Excessive Daytime Sleepiness?
Are you wondering How to diagnose excessive daytime sleepiness disorders like narcolepsy and hypersomnia? Unfortunately, if you are, then here is presenting to you some lifestyle changes and modifications you can try at home to diagnose any sleeping medical conditions you may have.
- Prepare a regular sleep schedule and stick to it
- Do not work night shifts
- Avoid consuming alcoholic and caffeinated drinks
- Set for yourself a peaceful environment ideal for sleep
- Medicines that cause drowsiness you must avoid at all cost
Thus, if you are a physician looking to claim your service charge, you need to understand that the ICD 10 diagnosis for excessive daytime sleepiness, specifically for hypersomnia, is G47.10.
Above all, apart from understanding How to diagnose excessive daytime sleepiness and treat this chronic sleeping