Excessive daytime sleepiness as the name suggests is a condition where a person faces difficulty in staying awake or being attentive during the daytime with a heavy urge to sleep during the day. If you feel sleepy during the day almost every day or most days in a week then chances are you are going through excessive daytime sleepiness.
Excessive daytime sleepiness is getting more common. In the US, 10 to 20% of the population goes through this condition. They experience daytime sleepiness three days a week on average. This condition highly affects your mood and your physical health as well. It can affect your daily traveling, work productivity at the office, and academic performance a lot.
Difference Between Tiredness/Fatigue and Excessive Daytime Sleepiness
Excessive daytime sleepiness is different from feeling tired since both can be caused by similar situations. Staying up late at night can make you feel tired and sleepy the next day which can be a sign of fatigue. On the other hand, if someone is feeling tired for a longer duration of time more than thrice a week even though they had adequate sleep every night.
This condition is not a disorder but if you are suffering from this condition you should not ignore the signs and consult your doctor as soon as possible.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Excessive Daytime Sleepiness?
Sleep is an important part of the body’s internal system. If someone is going through excessive daytime sleepiness then it causes problems in your daily social, personal and professional life.
You might experience the following symptoms if you have excessive daytime sleepiness:
- Difficult to stay alert
- Feel irritation easily
- Problems with memory
- Difficulty in focusing
- Unable to grasp new concepts
- Reaction speed gets low
- Impulsive behaviors
What are the After-Effects of Excessive Daytime Sleepiness?
The urge to feel sleepy during the daytime can be challenging and it affects your health in many ways:
- You get prone to accidents
- Decrease in work productivity
- Starts to affect your work, academic and personal life
- Poor health lifestyle
- Feel the challenge to manage your emotions
- It affects your social and personal life adversely
- It can prove dangerous to:
- Young teenagers
- Workers who work a shift basis
- Staff who work in the medical field
Various sleep orders result in excessive daytime sleeping. Sleep disorder results in irregular sleeping patterns and affects your overall health and safety.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OBA)- A syndrome characterized by irregular airflow in episodic repetition due to collapse of upper airways during sleep
- Narcolepsy– A chronic sleep disorder in which patients feel an excessive amount of sleep during sleep time and face sudden sleep attacks
- Hypersomnia– A medical condition characterized by excessive sleepiness during the day
Other Medical Conditions
Furthermore, here is a list of medical conditions which are apart from sleeping problems or disorders can cause Insomnia as follows:
- Obesity- A complex disease in which a person has unhealthy amounts of fat in their body.
- Lupus- A condition where a person’s body immune system starts to attack their own tissues and organs leading to inflammation in several body parts
- Parkinson’s disease- A brain disorder in which the central nervous system affects body movements involuntarily making it difficult to move the body and it worsens over time
- Hypothyroidism- A condition in which the thyroid gland is unable to produce a sufficient amount of thyroid hormones which stunts mental and physical growth among children and adults insignificantly
- Multiple sclerosis- A condition where a patient’s immune system starts to eliminate the protective covering of nerves leading to nerve damage resulting in loss, pain, fatigue, and body imbalance issue
- Mental illnesses like depression, anxiety, and schizophrenia
Natural Ways to Treat Excessive Daytime Sleepiness
Excessive daytime sleepiness is not a disorder, hence this condition can be treated very well. To some extent, excessive daytime sleepiness can be also managed and treated by changing your lifestyle patterns and routines. Here are some natural ways which you practice to prevent and treat excessive daytime sleepiness:
- Be physically active
- Discipline your sleep schedules
- Sleep if you feel tired
- Maintain a healthy diet
- Always engage yourself mentally to prevent idleness leading to daytime sleep urges
- Avoid dark and cool places during days to avoid this condition to occur
- Moreover, If you feel sleepy avoid driving a vehicle
- Loose weight and gain energy
- Avoid caffeine consumption during your sleep time to avoid waking up at night
- Also, reduce consumption of alcohol or other sedatives
Medical Treatments to Cure Excessive Daytime Sleepiness
Consult your doctor and take proper prescription of medicines with proper dosage before consuming any medicine to treat excessive daytime sleeping. Your doctor might give you medicines that are mostly classified under ‘wakefulness promoting agents’ which may contain drugs like:
- Modafinil– A drug that promotes wakefulness and it is used to treat several sleep disorders which can cause excessive daytime sleepiness indirectly and its conditions directly as well
- Armodafinil– It is a revised version of Modafinil and does the same function as Modafinil
Excessive daytime sleepiness is a medical condition where a person faces difficulty in staying awake or being attentive during the daytime with a heavy urge to sleep during the day. Moreover, in the US, 10 to 20% of the population goes through this condition. This condition is not a disorder but if you are suffering from this condition you should not ignore the signs and consult your doctor as soon as possible.
Worry not if you are going through excessive daytime sleepiness. Also, this condition is pretty common in America and it is said to be growing among their population at a faster rate. Additionally, you can treat this condition through various ways of remedies and medicines as well.
If someone is going through excessive daytime sleepiness then it causes problems in your daily social, personal and professional life. Also Excessive daytime sleepiness can be caused due to some specific sleep disorders like Narcolepsy and other medical conditions like obesity and mental illness.