For a sleeping disorder like obstructive sleep apnea (blocking of airways in lungs during sleep), you use Modalert 100 (Modafinil). It is a drug that contains ‘Modafinil’ and belongs to a group of medications called ‘Psychostimulants’. Besides, consuming Modalert 100 (Modafinil) helps drive away ‘Excessive Daytime Sleepiness’ and restore normal sleep patterns. Modalert 100 (Modafinil) can also treat a medical condition like sleep paralysis.
The actual mechanism of Modalert 100 (Modafinil) still needs to be determined. However, this drug is said to work as a weak and selective ‘Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitor’. It works to alter certain chemical messengers in the brain, such as orexin neuropeptides and histamine, to keep it awake and alert. Simply put, Modalert (Modafinil) is a drug that helps in the regulation of the sleep cycle. Therefore, it is a medicine that effectively enables you to stop sleeping regularly during the day.
Modalert (Modafinil) was a drug discovered by French neuroscientist Michael Jouvet in the 1970s. However, in 1994 and 1998, it received approval for clinical use by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) in France and the United States of America, respectively. Modalert (Modafinil) is a generic medication which works as a ‘Wakefulness’ promoting agent to help individuals suffering from ‘Excessive Daytime Sleepiness’ manage their symptoms. The route of administration for Modalert (Modafinil) is oral, taken through the mouth.
Why Do We Call Modalert a ‘Smart Drug’?
Modafinil or Modalert was for the first time called “World’s Safe Smart Drug” by researchers at the Havard and Oxford universities. Since when it does exert its effect, it helps drive away ‘Daytime Sleepiness’ without proving to be a ‘High Risk’ for the body to take. Besides, Modalert is essentially called a ‘Smart Drug’ because consuming it increases your mental focus significantly. It also stimulates your brain to help it be ‘Awake and Alert’.
How Does Modalert Work to Reduce Excessive Daytime Sleepiness?
When it comes to the action of Modalert 100 (Modafinil), we have a lot to learn about it. Since no discovery has been made about the exact mechanism of Modalert, it essentially acts on chemical messengers in the brain called orexin neuropeptides and histamine. Triggering a stimulant effect to eliminate excessive sleepiness that occurs during the day. Besides, when you take a dose of Modalert, it also reacts by acting upon ‘Orexin Neurons’ (nerve cells in the brain), which proves to be effective in managing the ‘Sleep-Wake’ cycle in an individual.
What are The Side Effects and Adverse Side Effects of Modalert Medicine?
Now, when you take Modalert, like any other drug, there is a possibility that you may experience a mix of mild side effects or serious side effects. Therefore, here is a list of a few common side effects of Modalert and adverse effects.
Common Side Effects of Modalert:
1. Rise in blood pressure
2. Nose congestion
3. Chest Pain
4. Loss of appetite
5. Vision blurring
6. Dry mouth
7. Lack of sleep or Insomnia
8. Anxiousness Or Anxiety
9. Dizziness or drowsiness
10. Pain in the back
If you experience the following side-effects mentioned below on taking Modalert, you need to stop consuming it and call your doctor immediately.
- Suicidal thoughts
- Slurring of speech
- Pain in the chest
- Shortness of breath
- Migraine attack
How Must a Person Use Modalert Medication Effectively to Feel Less sleepy During the Day?
To manage symptoms of ‘Excessive Daytime Sleepiness’ without experiencing unwanted side effects, you must take doses on Modalert correctly. Here are a few tips to keep in mind before using Modalert.
- Do not use this medication if you use drug allergies.
- Also, you need to ensure that you take Modalert as your doctor prescribes
- You must only use a glass of water to take this drug. Do not ever chew or crush the medication.
- Make sure you only use the Modalert dosage prescribed by your doctor or pharmacist using body type, age, and medical condition as factors.
- It is a medicine you must take in the morning. However, you can take doses on Modalert before or after your meal at your convenience.
- If you have a rash while taking this medicine, you need to stop taking this medicine immediately and seek medical assistance from your physician.
What Can Occur When You Overdose on a Modalert Drug?
When you take Modalert (Modafinil), there is always a possibility that you may overdose on it, causing mild-to-severe side effects, which may be fatal if you do not treat them. Therefore, under such dire circumstances, you must stop taking Modalert (Modafinil) and call your doctor or healthcare centre for immediate medical assistance.
What Precautions Do You Need to Take While Taking Modalert?
If you want to get maximum benefits from Modalert (Modafinil) to drive away ‘Excessive Daytime Sleepiness’ then you need to keep the following safety measures in mind:
- Avoid using this drug if you are suffering from severe liver impairment.
- Never consume alcohol while taking Modalert (Modafinil) to ensure that side effects do not worsen and prove to be lethal.
- Please do not drink grapefruit along with the Modalert drug. Since doing so will inhibit the effects of the drug.
- When you use the Modalert drug along with a contraceptive pill, it dilutes its effect. Therefore, you need to avoid using these drugs simultaneously.
- Using this drug may cause addiction in the long term. Hence, you must ensure that you use the Modalert drug only after consulting with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do not take this medicine if you have a rare hereditary disease such as galactose intolerance, Lapp lactase deficiency etc.
- Avoid smoking while dosing on Modalert and drinking alcohol to prevent worsening side effects.
Is it Possible for a Pregnant Woman to Take Modalert?
Many doctors or healthcare professionals have studied that Modalert (Modafinil) can be harmful to pregnant women. It is because you will commonly observe that when a pregnant lady starts consuming Modalert, there is damage to the unborn child.
Do you Think it is Safe to Breastfeed While Taking Modalert?
It is advisable for mothers not to take up Modalert (or Modafinil) during the breastfeeding period as the medication can pass through the breast milk into the baby.
Can Modafinil Interact With Any Disease?
Modalert medicine sure can interact adversely with certain medical conditions. They include:
- Renal disease
- Liver cirrhosis
- High blood pressure
- Chest pain or angina
You must do dose adjustment for Modalert only if you suffer from a severe hepatic impairment, which means you need to reduce Modalert dose by half. Modalert medicine also interacts with other drugs such as Benadryl, CoQ10, Cymbalta, Lexapro, Prozac etc.